Friday 22 June 2012

Letting Disney in

My husband and I often joke that my sister and brother-in-law need to "let Disney into their lives". They don't have children yet, so they feel they have no need to visit Walt Disney World. They like to tease us about going to WDW so often and about how we probably have just as much fun there as the kids.

They're right. We go to WDW just as much for us as we do for our children. Probably more so right now, as our children are very young. But, letting Disney into your life does not simply mean making the obligatory once-in-a-lifetime visit to the World.

In my household, Disney is not just a brand of movies, toys or the Most Magical Place on Earth. It's a lifestyle.

Some people take issue with what Disney promotes. One such example is the focus on princesses for little girls. The argument is that girls should be taught to be strong leaders, rather than to be dependent on a "prince" for happiness. Well, we have no issue exposing our children to Disney's overarching mantra: believing in your dreams and making them come true.

As such, we have no problem "letting Disney in". Our children regularly watch Disney movies, wear Disney clothing, listen to Disney music and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Knowing that one of my son's first words was Goofy makes me proud. Watching as my daughter asks to be measured every day by my husband in order to see if she will be able to go on a new ride at WDW makes me happy.

We have definitely let Disney in and will never go back. I am proud to show my children that, in a world with so much negativity, anything is possible... dreams do come true. And when we sometimes forget this, there is a "World" out there, filled with pixie dust, waiting to remind us.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment